I put together a fun little contest to see how well you knew your cowboy/western slang terms. You may be asking why, why would she do such a weird thing?
My reason, I'm writing a western romance novel (with a scattering of zombie mayhem for fun and added tension) and I wanted to make my novel as genuinely authentic to the times as I could (minus the zombie feature, of course).
First, the answers:
1) Adam’s Ale: Water
2) Milestonemonger: Someone who likes to roam
3) Dough Belly: The cook
4) Paintin’ his nose: Getting drunk
5) Get the mitten:To be rejected by a lover
6) Texas Cakewalk: A hanging
7) Windies: Tall Tales
8) Rod: A revolver
9) Fice: A worthless dog or mongrel
10) Amputate your timber: Put down your rifle
11) Doxology Works: A church
12) Belly Wash: Weak Coffee
13) Hay Seed:A derogatory term for a farmer
14) Rot Gut: Bad liquor
15) Sheepherders Delight:Cheap whiskey
16) Texas Butter: Gravy made with flour, hot water, and fried steak grease
17) Fiddle: A horse's head
18) Horn: A glass of liquor
19) Roostered (I use this one in my book): To get drunk
20) Honey-Fogle: To swindle
And now for the winner . . . drum roll, please . . .
What a fittin' name for such a contest. Interesting to say the least. He got the most correct (eight correct). Way to go!!
Thanks ya'll for participating. Hope you had fun!